If you are one of the 160,000 Aussies that have signed up for Dry July, firstly well done! Dry July has fast become a well known fundraiser to go alcohol-free in the month of July raising funds for invaluable services for cancer patients.
In return you get to have a month off the alcohol with great health benefits, such as better sleep, more energy and think about no hangovers!! Winner!
The downside of this is that you may experience some rather unpleasant detox symptoms in your first week. We’ve listed some good tips on how to survive the detox week. As the body is clearing itself it is quite possible to experience some of the following rather unpleasant symptoms:
* Flu like symptoms
• Skin breakouts
• Bowel changes
In our opinion, some of the best things to help with any detox symptoms:
- Start taking a Magnesium supplement – I like Magnesium Glycinate 1000mg capsules (we make and sell them instore). The magnesium will support your nervous system whilst detoxing.
- Try caffeine alternatives such as Rooibos Tea full of anti-oxidants to give you a boost, roasted dandelion tea to support the liver or peppermint tea can help with digestion and any headaches.
- Herbs to support your liver and adrenal function such as St Mary’s Thistle for liver support or Licorice, a great digestion and adrenal support and Rehmannia and Astragalas both great adrenal tonics.
(We also have a full herbal dispensary instore that our naturopaths can tailor a detox mix for you)
- Epsom Salt baths are great for both relaxation and detoxification.
- Sweating will help with the symptoms – try an infrared sauna or steam room. How about a hot yoga session.
- Start dry skin brushing in circular movements all over your body before showering each day. The skin is a great detoxifiying organ.
- Why not start off with a few colonics in the first week to help speed up the detoxification and healing. Just be mindful to up your probiotic dose.
- Lymphatic massage can be great for detoxing.
- If you’re brave enough to try – try to do some coffee enemas.
Set your intention at the beginning of the month as to why you are doing this and return to it every time you feel a moment of weakness. Before long you will be full of energy, skin glowing, sleeping like a baby and helping people all at the same time.