Include in diet:
- High consumption of fruits & vegetables, wholegrains, legumes
- Foods rich in lysine such as eggs, fish, lima beans, red meat, chicken, low fat dairy.
- Water (filtered) 2 litres per day
- Fresh juices & herbal teas
- Ginger for anti-inflammatory properties
- Foods high in arginine such as chocolate, nuts, coconut, carob, oats& soybeans
- Alcohol, Coffee
- Processed, refined foods, sugar, salt
- Saturated fats
- Triggers such as overexposure to sun & wind, fatigue & stress
May be helpful:
- Stress management
- Maintain optimum immune system
- If due to sun and wind, use of a lip balm with an SPF 30 is essential
- Good hygiene is essential to help prevent the spread of cold sores. Wash hands regularly, before and after use of cream. Do not share towels, food etc with others when a cold sore is active.
- Lysine – clinical trials have shown that taking lysine orally reduces recurrence, severity and healing time of cold sores. Thompson’s lysine lip clear contains lysine, vitamin C, bioflavonoids & zinc.
- Zinc helps boost the immune system, Vitamin C aids in healing bioflavonoids with C have been shown to halt the development of lesions if taken at early onset.
- Vitamins A, C and E
( Always check for contraindications and cautions)
- Lomalips cream – a herbal relief for cold sores containing Melissa officinals (Lemon balm)
Feel free to come down to The Compounding Pharmacy Australia in Mosman to talk to Tracey or any other staff about cold sores or other conditions.
Leave a comment